The Albuquerque District of UMW is proud to announce that our weekend-long residential retreat for 9th-12th-grade girls focused on Christian leadership in their communities will be held Presidents’ Day Weekend, February 18-21, 2022, at McCurdy Ministries in Española, NM. Nominations close December 15, 2021.
The Albuquerque District of UMW invites your church to nominate up to 3 girls from your congregation to attend this Christian Leadership Retreat. The cost to each girl selected is only $25. We want to be diverse and inclusive and offer this opportunity to as wide-spread a group of young women as possible in our district. Funding allows us to offer this opportunity to 12 girls this year.
We encourage you to consider girls who:
- Demonstrate maturity when interacting with their peers;
- Show interest in learning new things, especially in Christian leadership;
- Follow directions well and show patience and persistence in task completion;
- Work well in group situations and are willing to help other students in the group;
- Cooperate with adult leaders, show respect for others and participate in group discussions;
- Demonstrate responsibility, exhibit self-control and have no serious discipline issues;
- Make positive choices for themselves;
- Are willing to try a challenging task, and complete it.
We ask you and your congregation to nominate 1-3 girls from your congregation by submitting nomination forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2021. When you are nominating a girl, please consider what you know about her and whether she would truly benefit from a Christian leadership weekend retreat.
We ask that you encourage your nominees to apply by completing and submitting application forms to Cheri Burch, email@example.com, St. Paul’s UMC Albuquerque.
All applicants will be interviewed by UMW members in their community. Our selection committee will then select up to 12 girls to attend the 2022 retreat. We strive to select a group of campers who reflect the demographics of Northwestern New Mexico with a mix of urban and rural girls of varying ethnicities and races.